The actual plans

 Wanted to write down everything that has happened this week, so it helps me to hold myself accountable. 

Presented Yunyang's 40 GHz data paper at Cosmo Coffee this Tuesday. The paper presents the pipeline and mapmaking process for the CLASS 40 GHz data. Talking about it in the journal club was really useful, especially thinking about what's coming next for me in terms of my thesis project. After discussing it with Toby, it looks like we have found a good project for my thesis. This will consist of reducing the data and creating new maps for 40 GHz because that has not been done yet with the 'new' data (starting from 2022, as on Yunyang's work, it was done only until May 2022, and it would be useful for the group to have the updated maps). I'm excited about this new challenge! even though it's been a slow start (I still haven't been able to make the libraries work on my computer, but I'll reach out to Joseph if I'm not able to get it done by today). Need to admit that analysis work looks a bit intimidating, but I need to remind myself that I'm capable of achieving anything I set my mind to, and my whole life is evidence of this. When I look back on what I've accomplished, there isn't a single piece of evidence that refutes the idea that I can succeed at anything I decide to pursue (reminder to me, that this is not only about academic achievements!). Also, growth comes from discomfort; that's another good reminder.

Also, Steve McCandliss came to find me in my office to talk about this semester's TA (he came to talk right during CLASS's general meeting time and ended up missing it, I'm sorry!). I'll be helping him with his class this semester, Introduction to Space, Science and Technology (AS.171.321). He gave me good information about how the class will go, and also asked him a ton of questions about ways I can be more involved with the students, as that's something that gives me such fulfillment. I want to do a good job with this. I'll miss the bio students and teaching General Physics, that's where I feel more comfortable. But again... growth comes from discomfort!



Upcoming goals:

  1. Start (ACTUALLY START) my thesis draft. There are 3 chapters I can actually start working on: Intro (cosmology), Detectors, and pipeline/mapmaking. It would be good to start with the Cosmology chapter. Concrete plans to do this: look into past CLASS's theses to see how they structured their intro chapters. 
  2. Get some code running (that means, all libraries working properly) by the end of the week. Concrete plans to do this: talk to Joseph!!
  3. Talk to more people about my idea of creating my own organization. Concrete plans to do this: get more informed, talk to people in the life design lab

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

Week ? - Thoughts and plans

Week 2 - trying to get some momentum